Tuesday 15 January 2013

a few activities

I discovered it is possible to make white playdough (as opposed to the beige colour playdough you get if no food colouring is added ) simply by using cornflour in the place of flour. I wanted a  hint of sparkle so added a good measure of white and silver glitter. The recipe worked well despite my slight panic when the mixture looked so wet in the saucepan that I doubted the instructions and didn't use all the water. I realised my mistake as the cornfour absorbed the water and solidified as it cooked, and the result was slightly drier and definitely crumbly. But it was pure white.
Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of just the playdough, every picture shows a child too so I can not share them. But I can say that it was a great success.
 
 
 
 
Today we played with shaving foam, I added a few sequins and bits & bobs for some fine motor skills practice.
 
 
Another sensory/messy play activity the children enjoy is Gloop, which is a mixture of cornfour and water. Sometimes I add glitter or sequins to it. It has very interesting properties, seemingly a liquid but solid beneath the surface. We are going to try an adaptation of the usual recipe: 500g corn flour, 350ml hair conditioner; when I've bought some hair conditioner.
 


And finally, a few of the baby's favourite things: wooden spoons, pegs, jar lids, honey 'spoons', wooden & metal bowls, sensory bottles and wooden eggs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment