Friday 4 January 2013

The challenges of 2013


New Year resolutions. I often feel I should make some and then before I know it the new year is here and I rush into it without any planning on how I'm going to achieve the 'Lose weight, take more exercise and eat more greens' mantra. Putting my personal health goals aside for the time being, the question is what are my resolutions/goals for childminding?
 
Well I've been reading comments on some of the childminding forums and it seems the most popular resolution has been to reduce paperwork and keep on top of the accounts. They are both very valid aims and mine is similar as it is to be more efficient. I tend to procrastinate and time management is not my strong point.

So how to achieve this goal? Lists
I have decided that is the only way to go. I will have a to-do list, I will prioritise items on the list into important/urgent, non-urgent, and things that I would like to achieve but that are not essential. My aim is to become effective (probably still stressed) but not overwhelmed and stressed- which is how I feel now sometimes.

 

Over the holiday period we have decorated the playroom. Furniture has been moved around, a large piece of furniture has been discarded and I am now in the process of trying to put it all back together again. I childmind from one large room, I call it the playroom but in reality it is our conservatory and is part of our home- we use it too. Getting the home/work balance right is difficult, I often feel it is 80% a childminding environment and only 20% part of our home. For example the children need a low table to paint on and have playdough, but it needs to double up as a snack table, and it needs to be within view of the Tv (only put on during snack time) but close to the toilet for hand washing after painting and not on the rug so that I do not end up with banana, playdough or paint trodden in. That is just one consideration, there are dozens of other decisions to be made for childminding about the placing of furniture, the type of necessary furniture or the spaces available and their uses. How my family might want to use that room is always the last consideration.
I work from home in an environment that is set up for children, every decision that is made about home is made with the considerations of childminding in the forefront. Childminders will know what I mean. I know there are plenty of other types of businesses that are run from an office, workshop or studio in the home, they like me often have regulations around health & safety & environmental health but they do not have the EYFS and Ofsted to deal with or the needs of young children to provide for. 
The placing of furniture is one thing, how to leave the childminding mode behind at the end of the working day is not so easy, in fact for me it is impossible as I think it is for many childminders. The lists might help me use  office time more effectively but no doubt I will still spend a great deal of time thinking about childminding, it is what I do and what I enjoy doing.


There are two new challenges/threats this year. One is the expected announcement on the deregulation/changes to childminding, which I will say no more on until the facts are published.

The other challenge will be how the new 'nursery' opening locally in May this year will affect my business and what I can do to weather that storm. I can not compete but neither do I plan to fall into the 'wrap-around provision' trap of rushing around picking up and dropping children here there and everywhere. My aim has always been and will continue to be, to provide an oasis of calm for children in their very early years.
 
Happy New Year.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment