Friday 2 November 2012

a different day


Today things were slightly different than they usually are.
 
 
For a start it is half-term which more often than not means less work for me as the majority of the children are term-time only. And as it happens I have only worked one day this week. However I have still been busy with ‘things’ and I’m not sure where the time has gone....

 
Today for example I had some family visitors, namely an 8 year old girl and a 10 year old boy. I’m quite comfortable dealing with this age group but in my working life all the children I care for are under 5 years of age, and most of them are under 3. So my resources reflect the age range I childmind for, but as I must also consider a slightly older age range and how I might meet their needs (not that I have any intention of having older children but you never know when disaster will strike and I will be called on- well that’s how I look upon it) I do have a box of what I call the ‘older child bits and bobs box' stored just in case.
 
So getting back to my visitors.
 
What to do with them. Well my box of bits and bobs came out, and as I know one of the children does enjoy craft I raided my sewing room too before they arrived. Yes, I have a sewing/craft room, but I’m afraid it is much underused these days….but one day…….
 
Anyway the box of bits and bobs box was ignored, but the collection of card and embellishments was immediately taken to the table and the 8 year old started decorating a card for a friend and was happily engrossed for about an hour. I thought the 10 year old would like to play on the Wii, but instead he asked if he could use a camera as he wanted to make a video.
 
 

 

He used Star Wars Lego figures and vehicles in the making of his video, but he also created an animation by taking a photo, moving the figures slightly then taking another photo and repeating the progress. The finished ‘film’ was amazing, and so full of his sense humour. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment